Sunday, September 21, 2008

This Letter

One day I will disappear completely.
The letters will mean nothing.
The world will get tired of me.
You will get tired of me.
I will get tired of myself, and die.
But I will never get tired of you.
For you, there will be no endings.
I will say your name over and over, like a refrain.
My prayer to no one.
Then i’ll be a flower, the one you’ll never pick.
And will endure the breathless waiting till boundaries disappear.
With nothing to do, I make new constellations.
Images of you as I remember - Dancing. Sitting. Walking…
There are stars from a different view.
But still, i see nothing but you.
Unfurling like a flower.
Swiveling like a leaf…
I once watched you sleep beside me.
It was dark then, but the darkness is deeper now.
Tonight in my dreams I will see you, my lady, clothed only in light…
Like a kite, I’ve given my self up to the wind.
I made friends with the sun.
Confused the birds with strange and distant voyages.
But it is you that ties the thread and hauls me down.
Like a kite, I will forever hold your hand.
And with a burning human longing, in your hands, I surrender.
I will never get tired of you.
For you there will be no endings.
I will say your name over and over… … … like a refrain.
My prayer to no one.
You know I will never get far.
And there is no need for my return.
I’ve never been a traveler.
For I have never left.
I am lost, simply.
Wanting to be in a place I’ve never been, and will never be.
Of all destinations, I long to be lost in the fields of your hair,
lost among your thoughts as you are already in mine.
You are my imperative to live.
My life started when I loved you.
And that’s how I want it to end.